After some time away from dancing I decided to approach the old routine in different ways.
After doubling my stretch time to 20 minutes, I began the routine I learned in class with the right hip. I've danced the routine by leading with my right side before, but not often, especially not for my practice videos yet. In class, we learned the routine on the left.
So, my practice session began and continued with my right side for 15 minutes. Then, I started to alter sets from left to right. I enjoyed that, it felt more like I was really dancing. I just need to work on the change-ups a bit more and I'll probably be ready to record another video soon. I would also like to do a new video doing just the routine I learned in class. I'd like to see my progress.
The best part of my practice tonight was when I turned out the lights. I wanted to feel the music - let it take me over, and not focus on technique, counting, mirrors, etc. I love doing this. I feel it helped connect me more to the rhythm. I listened to the drums lead me, like I had give my hand, my trust. I didn't have my costume on, I'll have to try that tomorrow night. I'm anxious to know how it feels and sounds while dancing in the darkness, but I'm a bit too 'grubby' now - and , it's late.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Tag!
http://www.mhryvnak.net/blog/?p=59
I LOVE this idea!!!!!!!!!!
as a dancer for many years dancing in the dark has always been a fav for me- but never thought of using it as a teaching tool til I read your blog! thanks!!!!!
you might like my blog too- Origionally from Scotland, I work as a dancer in Cairo , Egypt and write all about my life out here.......
www.bellylorna.blogspot.com
Post a Comment