Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Profound Philosophy

Belly dancer Panta Rei has provided more than just dance instruction though her site and her yahoo group, Belly-dancing. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Belly-dancing/
. She lives and gives the philosophy of Heraclitus.

This is my post to her from the group.

http://optionality.net/heraclitus/

I was reading through your web page and came across the link above. I remember first hearing about Heraclitus and the river from a friend in '93. I have never forgotten it, nor have I come across many that have heard of him. I like to acknowledge the few times I've discovered someone else who knows. Plus, thank you for the additional quotes and information as well.

I will be posting this on my blog as well.

Also, thank you for everything else!!!

Peace ...

3 comments:

Panta Rei said...

Hey, thanks so much for that, bellydancegirl!

If you ever come to Canberra, Australia, come and visit our dance group here. I'm just starting new classes and we're also having get-togethers with some great musicians to jam and improvise. I make my own choreographies and often design costumes specifically for one dance - it's what I hear and see in the music, and I love to share that with others. We really just started out as friends who all wanted to somehow join in, so it grew into a group and for years now we've been performing at many festivals, haflas and similar events.

Let me to tell a bit more about my approach in classes. I love and celebrate improvisation, especially in dance-solos, when I can get this shiver at moments when music and dance get entangled and turn into one smooth and continuous sensation with spontaneous mutual inspiration.. yes, suddenly everything can come together, everything works and it all seems to go so smoothly, easily and without effort, as if you let loose everything that you've ever been taught and you feel just so alive.

That kind of sensation is one of the things I like to share, as opposed to the frequent stretch exercises, the endless practicing of the same moves and dance-steps, all in isolation and with starts and stops. Of course, we still do our warm ups and cool downs, and everyone wants to practice moves, especially when you want to perform as a group, but even then I tell everyone that there are no mistakes, just little variations; there is no one single way to do a move, everyone is unique and must find themselves, emersing themselves in this ambience of the rhythms of the music, the flow of fabrics, the smoothness of movement, the sound of feet on the floor, all in ways that they feel most comfortable with, so that it does become a sensation and an experience, both personally felt and at the same time shared with others.

I love to hear from others, what they get out of their dance classes.

If anyone else is interested in more abouit Panta Rei dancing, see my website for details:
http://www.pantarei.org

Love, peace and happy dancing!
~ ~ ~
Panta Rei
(Marion)

BudgetBride said...

I have a friend that has lived in Melbourne for 12 years. She's living back in the States now for a few years, but still owns a flat there with intentions to go back. So, a trip to Australia is not out of the question! I'd love to learn from you! I see Canberra on the map and imagine it would be a long drive - but it would be worth it and fun to plan a trip from Melbourne for a few of your classes!

Panta Rei said...

Yes, that would be nice, let me know if your plans do take shape!

Other Bellydance videos

Free Bellydance Video Previews and Downloads

Webring

Powered by WebRing®.