5th class tomorrow night. Can't wait. Been practicing the routine as well as the finger cymbals, which we were introduced in last week's lesson. I am still having difficulty coordinating the cymbals and these steps, which are still relatively new.
We are learning a 'gallop' rhythm - 2 with right hand, one with left. Two with right hand, one with left. Or, if you are left handed, the other way around - two with left, one with right. I am left-handed, actually; however, since I have learned most tasks besides writing and eating with my right, I decided it was easiest to train my body the standard way from the beginning.
It is still really difficult to coordinate the cymbal's 'silent' 4th beat with an actual movement with the 4 and 8 count of the routine. I am isolating the separate sections and doing half-time. That is helping.
I'm not sure if I'm getting the technical terms right. As I said in a previous post, my instructor said no need to concentrate on terminology now. We will review that later. That's fine with me, since it already seems like I'm trying to remember at least 20 things to do at once. Oh, and you also have to ... uhhh ...BREATHE while doing it! Surprisingly, that's something I must remind myself to do, at least in a regular rhythm. Tonight during my practice, I vow to sit, breathe, and relax before my warm-ups. I must 'yoga' myself before I dance (personal note - seek beginners yoga classes and dvds - how can that hurt????)
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment