I'm halfway through my eight week class. We've learned warm-ups and some basic moves for a full dance routine. The instructor showed us at the end of the first class what the entire dance was. There's no way I can do that, I thought. Now, I'm halfway there!
I'm getting better at the beginning of the routine which we have learned. I can't remember the exact name of the moves she showed us, the instructor said that remembering the names of the moves are not important right now.
I start out with my left foot out and up on the ball of the foot. I lean back and move my left hip up four times.
I then stand straight and move my shoulder blades back and forth. The instructor said to concentrate on your shoulder blades, so you are not using your breasts or front muscles. "The girls just go along from the ride," she said. Then she gave us a comical display of the right and wrong way to move the shoulders. "This is a dancer," she said as she gracefully moved the proper way. "And this is a stripper," she said as jiggled her breasts back and forth. It was amusing to see how correct she was.
I've got my shoulders moving nicely when I'm standing still. But the next step is to side step to the left, then right. It's hard for this beginner to do both, although it is getting easier with practice.
After the side steps we move our left hip while turning right for 8 counts. You wind up a quarter turn forward from your starting position. The hardest part of this step for me is to remember to keep my hips tucked. The instructor then told us that we start the steps from the beginning and this works 'the four corners.' I guess we just learned the first part of the routine!
I'm excited that I'm at the point where I'm actually 'dancing.' However, we've only been working the left hip. Is this the way all dances are? Or, will I also be learning the tight side soon. Since I am doing this for both education and exercise, I've been secretly working my right side at home. With all the official work we've done with our left, it is definitely easier.
Friday, October 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Isn't seeing progress fun? :)
We normally do drill both sides for equal development, but some choreographies are more right or left hipped. Its awesome that you are working both sides on your own--it needn't be a secret. Its a wise move. Who is your teacher?
Thank you very much!!!! My teacher is named Paula. It's terrible, I know, but I don't even remember the name of the troupe she belongs to. I'll get a card next time. I'm a bit nervous in class, so I have hardly even spoke to her, except to say 'thank you' or 'ok' when she gives me direction.
Post a Comment