Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bellydance and Yoga videos, and practice

I've been getting in at least 30 minutes of practice a day. Would like to get more, but I recently signed on to a new project for work, and that has certainly taken some time out of my days. Yesterday, however, I got in an hour's practice - 30 minutes without the costume and hipscarf, then 30 minutes with them on. My best practice yet, and definitely the best practice in my costume!

I STILL have not tried the zills with my costume on for a couple reasons. I'm still a little nervous about it - the choli sleeves are so long, I'm still getting used to the feeling that my arms are moving inside a bell. And, because I am finally getting better and used to the sleeves, I'd like to keep that feeling going for at least another practice or two before I feel the mild frustration of awkward practice. Also, I live in a small apartment. I can hear coughing, laughing and music through my walls from the other tenants. I suspect the ring of finger cymbals also has the power of sound travel and possible annoyance. They are pretty loud I've heard that you can muffle the sound by making or buying knitted or crocheted 'socks' to slip over. I must look into that. Zills are quite a challenge for a beginner. I must not loose what progress I gained from them. I wish my grandma was alive now. She would LOVE to make me some. She was always making something with yarn. I never got the knack for it, so I will look into buying some.

Speaking of buying, I just bought two new dvds. I've been saying from the start that I have wanted to begin yoga as well. My brother has been taking yoga for a few years now. So, through his recommendation, I just ordered my first yoga dvd! I definitely need to go to the yoga class with my brother, but he says this one is a good gentle start for a beginner.

Most exciting, I actually found a dvd with yoga AND bellydance!!!!! :) I want to learn more than the six steps I learned in class, and, until I take my next class, I'll be able to learn new moves, as well as yoga poses that are most beneficial to bellydancers. Plus, the lessons are for Tribal dance! My first class was for Lebanese Cabaret, so I am most anxious to also learn a different form!

3 comments:

Hollymb said...

I have just started belly dancing to help me lose weight, it's a great workout. I wish I could take classes but none are offered in my area.

The DVDs are wonderful though I'm on my second one now.

BudgetBride said...

Yes, it is a great workout. I had gained 20 pounds after a rough time in my life. Now, with simple walking, better eating, a better outlook on life and bellydance, I fit back into the clothes I had 8 years ago! Plus, NOTHING else is better for waist and ab sculpting than bellydancing. I tried visiting your site but I kept getting error messages :(

Anonymous said...

Very exciting! I've always admired belly dancing. And thanks for the tip on the yoga/belly dancing dvd.

Other Bellydance videos

Free Bellydance Video Previews and Downloads

Webring

Powered by WebRing®.