Monday, July 7, 2008

Tummy Flutter with Belly Jewel

This is the 1st time I tried a belly jewel. I recently found it loose in a box of my aunt's old costume jewelery. I do need to get a bigger one, and inquire if there is something that can help keep it in place - temporarily, of course. I'm not breaking any skin anywhere near my bellybutton. I know too many women who got them done when it was hip in the 90's - too many of them have problems with infections to this day - even without wearing them for years.

Also - though I don't consider myself a 'true' bellydancer - I truly believe in its origin - a testament, a celebration, a preparation for creation. I am SO intrigued by this form of dance for its age, its purpose, it's pure, natural worship of the female. It is goddess philosophy. My bellybutton is the connection to my mother. Sacred enough without question, but it is also the constant connection of life and creation that connects us all, especially us goddess sisters, since we are the ones with the power to create this portal. It is proof of life and a line to creation. I understand adoring it with jewels, even with ink (although I wouldn't personally for vain, stretch-marked reasons that age promises to deliver), but I would never pierce the sacred place where life first entered me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spirit Gum is the tried and true way of keeping things like belly jewels and other pretty things stuck to us without "breaking skin". I recommend finding some at a local costume shop or online. But don't forget to also buy some spirit gum remover! Good luck.

BudgetBride said...

a big THANK YOU to you!

Other Bellydance videos

Free Bellydance Video Previews and Downloads

Webring

Powered by WebRing®.