Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yoga for Beginners

I decided to try beginner yoga before I got back into bellydancing. It's been well over a year since I've done any kind of exercising at all (shame on me). When I purchased Belly Dance For Beginners, I also bought Yoga For Beginners. I got it new for only $5 bucks. I couldn't go wrong.

Both arrived a few days ago. However, I just used the yoga one today. A true testament to my lack of shape: two days ago I pulled my right shoulder blade muscles. I have no clear idea of how I did it. When I do get back pain, I usually get it in my lower back, but this current pain is radiating from under my right shoulder blade. The only ways I guess I could have strained them is from lifting baskets of wet laundry and reaching to high shelves. I never experienced pain in this region before. I guess it's 'truth' speaking to me: I'm getting older, and I need to get back into shape.

So, instead of jumping right back into shimmies and hip drops (I've had a current pain in my hip as well, due to slipping on a wet floor almost 15 years ago), I decided to start with the yoga dvd.

As I popped it in, I was MOST happy to see a section entitled, "Yoga for Inflexible People." This section has two routines, "Basics" (20 min.) and "Hip Opener" (15 min.)

I have only done "Basics" so far. My back does feel a bit better. I still have some pain, but I can tell that the muscles are more relaxed. It doesn't hurt as much. I felt some pain when doing there very basic floor poses; but, since I was stretching, it DEFINITELY made my back shoulder blade feel better during and after the stretches.

After seeing and only doing one section, it's impossible to give a full review. However, after doing the 20 min. "Basics" for Inflexible people I will express two of my thoughts:

1) This section may be very boring to those who have any experience with yoga, even including a few classes or if you already have a few dvds.

2) For those, like me, who know next to nothing about yoga, this, in my beginner's opinion, is the perfect way to start. The poses are all on the floor, mostly in a relaxed mode. I guess that these may be warm-up or cool down poses for the more experienced. And, honestly, if I did not have a stiff back, I would have been ready for more after this set. However, because of my current state, I was hoping that it would be slow, relaxing, educational, and effective. I was pleased.

Anxious to start the "Hip Opener" section. But, as with any exercise routine (especially if you are not feeling well), one should not overdo it. Afraid that if I keep going at it (like I currently feel like I can), I will experience even more stiffness and pain tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for your post, a couple of days ago I started to exercise after a long break and I hurt myself lower back and knee so I will try yoga to start out instead of straight to bellydance

Other Bellydance videos

Free Bellydance Video Previews and Downloads

Webring

Powered by WebRing®.